It is the last day of the year and although the full reading report will have to wait until the new year (in case I finish any more books today), I believe it is time to report my progress on the various reading challenges I undertook this year.
This year I managed only five of the books on my Classics club reading list. I even failed on the latest spin I participated in, despite getting an easy one, so I am definitely falling behind here…
- The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- My Ántonia by Willa Cather
- Silas Marner by George Eliot
- Moominpappa at Sea by Tove Jansson
- The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon
Back to the classics reading challenge
In The Back to the classics reading challenge the goal is to read and blog about twelve books that fit particular categories and which are at least 50 years old. This year I managed to read and review books from eight of the twelve categories (re-using some of the books from the classics club reading challenge).
1. 19th Century Classic. Any classic book originally published between 1800 and 1899. The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
2. 20th Century Classic. Any classic book originally published between 1900 and 1969.
My Ántonia by Willa Cather
3. Classic by a Woman Author. Silas Marner by George Eliot
4. Classic in Translation. Any classic originally written in a novel other than your native language. My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.
5. Classic Comic Novel.
6. Classic Tragic Novel.
7. Very Long Classic. Any classic single work 500 pages or longer, not including introductions or end notes.
8. Classic Novella. Any work of narrative fiction shorter than 250 pages.
Moominpappa at Sea by Tove Jansson
9. Classic From the Americas (includes the Caribbean).
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
10. Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia).
The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon
11. Classic From a Place You’ve Lived. Read locally! Any classic set in a city, county, state or country in which you’ve lived, or by a local author. Kallocain by Karin Boye
12. Classic Play. Any play written or performed at least 50 years ago. Plays are eligible for this category only.
Keep reading books by African, Asian and South American authors
I will post some more statistics later but I did manage to read books by authors from Argentina, Colombia, Nigeria, Israel, India, China, Japan and South Korea.
Decrease my book budget from last year’s
Success! Not to hard considering that last year’s budget was very generous, but I am still proud.
I wish you all a Happy New Year!